Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Magical Review

Annyeonghaseyo~!

Okay, you caught me. My review isn't magical. The movie, however, is. I've decided to write a review of Woochi: The Demonslayer. It's a Korean movie that I found very intriguing. It has the right amount of action, illusion, and humour. It stars Kang Dong Won as Woochi, a famous Tao master (who likes to use his magic for tricks, illusions, and playfulness). Dong Won does an amazing job in this movie, in my opinion. He was perfect for the role of a young, playful magician.

The movie is set in two time periods: the Joseun period, and our modern time period. Woochi finds himself in the middle of a battle between three bumbling Taoist wizards and a horde of havoc-wreaking monsters and their leader. All of them try to obtain a pipe that can calm the beasts, or in the wrong hands, do much damage. 

The movie itself, the plot, was great. I liked the element of illusion and magic mixed with a fighting style. There was the right amount of humour, in the right times. The movie ties in Korean folklore brilliantly. Although the CG effects aren't the absolute greatest, they're not too bad either. The CG doesn't make it unwatchable, because it gives just the right amount of realism to make it believable. 

The acting, in my opinion, was brilliant. The characters were very believable. Woochi, being childlike in ways, was portrayed perfectly. His companion was highly entertaining, and put a smile on my face almost every time I saw him on the screen. 

Overall, I highly recommend the movie for lovers of sci-fi and fantasy. And if you're into Korean movies, great! It makes it that much better. It's much better than most Hollywood movies, anyway. This movie can be found on Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. So grab your popcorn (and your attention, cause if you don't speak Korean, you're gonna be doing a lot of reading) and start watching! Enjoy!

~이하늘

No comments:

Post a Comment