Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I'm So Addicted...

Annyeonghaseyo~!

What am I addicted to, might you ask?

K-dramas.

Yep. K-dramas. For those who don't know what they are, they're Korean dramas. Mostly revolving around love or revenge, but they're (in my opinion) ten times better than most American dramas. (I say most because there's still some American dramas I like - Once Upon a Time, Switched at Birth, and Breaking Bad, for example)

But there's something about K-dramas that has me addicted. I'll find myself binge watching an entire season (which, most K-dramas have only one season, of about 16-21 episodes. More, if it's extremely popular) in a week. The quirky characters, the suspense, and the cliffhangers that are put at the end of EVERY episode draw me in even more. Yes, it is in a completely different language, but I believe that's another reason why I like it.

I love to be able to learn a bit about the culture (a bit - obviously, dramas aren't that true to life). I'm able to learn what this word means, what kind of food is popular, etc. I especially enjoy the historical ones, such as Faith and Dr Jin (both time travel related). I really enjoy supernatural type dramas such as My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, and My Love From the Stars (aka, My Love From Another Star). Supernatural and sci-fi have always struck my fancy, but I don't see many of those in K-dramas. Maybe the occasional body switcher (BIG and Secret Garden are examples) could be supernatural, in a way.

Other types I enjoy are some "gender benders" - where girls pretend to be guys to get closer to a guy they like, or for some other reason (such as becoming a pop star, filling in for a twin brother, etc.). Dramas like this are To the Beautiful You, You are Beautiful, and K-Pop Ultimate Survival. I could write a list of all the wonderful K-dramas I've seen, and I can't particularly pick a favourite. I suppose the most liked one is a tie between My Girlfriend is a Gumiho and To the Beautiful You.

My very first K-drama was BIG - where the minds of an older man and a young boy swap bodies after a car crash. Sometimes it's a "Murphy's Law set in motion" kind of drama, where everything that can go wrong, will. But I loved it, because usually K-dramas wrap up pretty nicely toward the end.

Though, there's one thing I can't stand in K-drama: the second male lead being... well, second. Usually, there's a love triangle in most dramas. It's just a thing that draws most people in. But, if you're going to make a love triangle, you're not supposed to have the female lead fall for the major jerk. The second male lead is almost always the sensitive, kindhearted one who will pick the heroine up when she's feeling down or help her in any way he possibly can to make her happy. But does she look twice at him? No! Okay, maybe in a couple of dramas does she actually look at the guy as a little more than a friend, but even then, only briefly. She still ends up with the major jerk who magically turns nice guy in 16 episodes.

Yet, despite that infuriating part of K-drama, I'm still addicted. I'm still sucked in. As of now, I'm still watching My Love From the Stars and Lie to Me, as well as occasionally watching K-Pop Ultimate Survival. My favourite? My Love From the Stars. For all my fellow addicted fans: kdrama.com is up and running, with a bunch of K-dramas (and more are continually being added. You can also send in suggestions).

Let me know if you lovelies would like me to do a review on a drama (which, I'll take by episodes, as they're about an hour long each), or if you'd like me to make a list of recommended dramas (and where they can be found). Let me know what you'd like in the comments~!

~이하늘

No comments:

Post a Comment